Friday, July 4, 2014

Friday Favorites: Aztec Print



As some of you may know, tribal patterns became a worldwide phenomenon back in 2012. Call it Aztec, Navajo or Mexican, fact is that South American prints have left a permanent mark in the fashion industry - on the runway and in retail.

Recently, I've fallen in love with anything and everything Aztec Print. It doesn't matter if it is black & white or colored, I just love that it has a way of adding dimension and character to a look.

So after seeing this super cute pair of shorts with an Aztec print, I thought I should give it a try and do them myself. 

 I found these while I was looking for fun projects to do, revolving around summer shorts and skirts, but there was no tutorial so I decided to make my own.

Let's get started!










1. First you wanna draw the pattern. You can do the one from above one-to-one, or you can improvise like I did, and make it your own. Using the ruler and the pencil, draw out the pattern you want. Do this on both sides.



2. Second, put some card board under the shorts or some kind of paper/newspaper and then start to fill in with the black fabric paint. Note: try to proceed as careful as you can, because if you smudge it, there's little you can do to go back. My advice is to make the best out of a mistake and add a new set of lines or dots to the print, including the smudge of course. 


3. After finishing the first side, proceed to the other one and try t make it symmetric.


4. Optional: Using small scissors, you can pull out threads like in the pic above to get that ruffle at the bottom. 


 5.  And this is how they look! As you can see, I also added that dotted line and changed the top part, because I thought it looked like some sort of animal print. 
To do the dotted line, I used the back of my paintbrush. I dipped it in the paint and tapped it on the shorts.


Hope you enjoyed this tutorial. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!



Love,


Dora

No comments:

Post a Comment